US says DR Congo team must isolate as precaution against Ebola before arriving for 2026 World Cup


Due to an Ebola outbreak in their country, members of the Congolese national soccer team must self-isolate before entering the U.S. for the 2026 World Cup.

According to reports, Andrew Giuliani, executive director of the White House Task Force for the World Cup, confirmed on Friday that the Congolese delegation must maintain a bubble where they are currently training in Belgium and isolate for 21 days or risk being denied entry.

Congo is in group K for this summer’s World Cup in North America. The first match is against Portugal on June 17 in Houston, followed by matches against Colombia on June 23 in Guadalajara, Mexico, and against Uzbekistan on June 27 in Atlanta.

“We have made it very clear to Congo that they must maintain the integrity of their bubble for 21 days before they can come to Houston on June 11,” Giuliani said.

«We have also made it very clear to the government of Congo that they must maintain that bubble or they risk not being able to travel to the United States. We couldn’t be clearer,» he added.

READ ALSO | Uruguay at the 2026 FIFA World Cup — Coach Marcelo Bielsa expects to step down after the World Cup

All Congo team members, along with French head coach Sebastien Desabre, are based outside the Central African country. Most play professionally in Europe, including defender Aaron Wan-Bissaka (West Ham United) and forward Yoane Wissa (Newcastle United) in the English Premier League and captain and defender Chancel Mbemba (Lille) in the French Ligue 1.

Giuliani said the US is taking no chances when it comes to health and safety issues surrounding the World Cup.

“We want to make sure nothing in this area comes into or near our borders,” he said.

Earlier this month, Congo confirmed an outbreak of a rare form of Ebola called Bundibugyo. More than 130 people have died among the almost 600 suspected cases.

Congo canceled its training camp in the capital Kinshasa during the outbreak and moved to Belgium, where the team is scheduled to play a friendly against Denmark in Liège on June 3. Congo also has a friendly match against Chile in southern Spain scheduled for June 9.

Published on May 22, 2026



Fuente