African media grills FIFAs Infantino about fans who are safe, welcome to the US at 2026 World Cup


African media interviewed FIA president Gianni Infantino on Saturday as people from the continent will be safe and welcome in the United States at the 2026 World Cup.

Football fans from Africa «are a bit nervous» about current events in the US, Infantino was told at a press conference in Kenya who encouraged him to ensure that African visitors to the tournament do not feel «outcast … second -class citizens».

The FIFA leader was reminded that he met again last week with US President Donald Trump, who now has a Gold World Cup trophy in a glass cupboard on his desk in the White House.

«We are going to play in a country where some of us do not feel welcome,» said a reporter from South Africa, the home country of FIFA Vice President Patrice Motsepe who was next to Infantino in a luxury hotel in Nairobi.

Motsepe is the brother-in-law of the South Africa president Cyril Ramaphosa, who had a tense visit to the White House in May when Trump repeated the unfounded claims of his administration that white farmers were systematically killed in the country.

At least nine African countries will be played in the 48 team line-up of the World Cup that on 11 June to 19 July in 11 American cities plus three in Mexico and two will be played in Canada. Egypt, Morocco and South Africa will probably qualify in October as current leaders of qualifying groups.

Read | US Border Crackdown No threat for 2026 World Cup: Concacaf Football Chief

A 10th African team could continue in Intercontinental Play-Offs planned after the tournament lottery, which Trump and Infantino announced in the Oval Office last week, will be held on December 5 in Washington DC in the Kennedy Center.

«Everyone will be welcome in North America for the World Cup next year,» said Infantino, whose long-term ties with Trump gave him a chair in the Capitol Rotunda for the inauguration of the president in January.

«I think it is important to clarify this, there is a lot of misconception there,» the FIFA leader said a room full of African media.

Tickets for the 104 World Cup competitions are in the sale 10 September in the midst of long -term concerns about fans who get Visa to enter the US with travel prohibitions and view lists for dozens of countries. Iran is already qualified and plays at least three games at the World Cup.

«I think the responsibility is on you,» the South African reporter told Infantino and Motsepe, «to ensure that Africa and all other people in the world do not feel emitted, do not feel that they are made second class in a world where equality should preach.»

The identity of the reporter was not immediately clear – the press conference was performed at the Confederation of African Football’s YouTube channel – but he said he is from South Africa.

Infantino was previously told by a reporter: «African football fans are a bit nervous about what happens in the US with regard to the expansion of people in the US»

Motsepe, a billionaire -businessman who has led the football organ of Africa since 2021, insisted that discreet work with American authorities had established obligations to make the World Cup run smoothly.

«We are convinced that we meet all the requirements they have and there will be sufficient access to African fans in the World Cup next year,» Motsepe said.

The announcement of travel prohibitions in June promised the Trump administration exemptions for teams and officials who came to the tournament – and the Olympic Games in Los Angeles 2028 – although the prospects for fans are less clear.

Infantino claimed that fans from 164 countries came to the Month-Long Club World Cup organized in 11 American cities in June and July «without of course any problems» with Visa.

«The world needs the occasions of unity,» said Infantino, who was told by Trump in the White House last week FIFA would not be able not to organize world cup competitions in LA next year if the president had not sent troops to the city this month. Eight competitions are planned at Sofi Stadium in Inglewood, including the opener of the American team on June 12.

«Be positive,» said Infantino in Kenya, «You will see that there will be a great, great celebration of the greatest FIFA World Cup ever.»

Published on August 30, 2025



Fuente