Lionel Messi and Jordi Alba avoid sanctions after missing all-star match


Lionel Messi and Jordi Alba from Inter Miami are not sanctioned for skipping the MLS All-Star match on Wednesday in Austin, Texas, their coach confirmed on Friday.

Both players were voted in the showcase by fans and media, but neither could be seen in the 3-1 victory of the MLS team against the Liga MX All-Stars.

League rules determine that players who choose to register for the All-Star game without an approved medical reason can get a suspension of one match.

Inter Miami -Coach Javier Mascherano pointed out that his team «this semester had played the most games so far» and that Messi showed «normal fatigue of the number of games and minutes he played», per ESPN.

«Look, players always have discomfort, especially when they play every three days. But luckily (Messi) returns today,» said Mascherano Friday. «Let’s hope he can train next to the group, so that we can count on both for tomorrow’s game. We have not received any (sanction).»

Inter Miami host FC Cincinnati on Saturday evening in Chase Stadium in Fort Lauderdale, FLA.

Mascherano said that Messi, 38, and Alba, 36, will be available for the competition, depending on their fitness levels.

Messi shares the MLS lead with 18 goals and this season has 10 assists in 17 league games. The Argentinian attacker also made six starts in the Concacaf Champions Cup and four in the FIFA Club World Cup.

Alba has one goal and eight assists in 18 ml matches. The Spanish defender made seven starts in the Champions Cup and one in the club World Cup.



Fuente