Inter Miami players Lionel Messi and Jordi Alba have received a suspension of one match from the Major League Soccer (MLS) after the duo did not participate in this year’s MLS All-Star Game.
They will miss the next competition match of Miami against FC Cincinnati.
«For each League rules, every player who does not participate in the All-Star game without prior approval of the competition, is not eligible to participate in the next match of their club,» said the competition in a release on Friday.
«I know that Lionel Messi loves this competition. I don’t think a player is or someone else who has done more for Major League football than Messi. I understand, respect and admire his dedication to Inter Miami, and I respect his decision. Unfortunately we had a long-durable decision» said in the all-state, «said in the all-state, in the All-Star» MLS commissioner Don Garber.
«That said, we are going to take a good look at the policy that improves. I am dedicated to work with our players to determine how the rule should evolve,» Garber added.
Both players were voted in the showcase by fans and media, but neither could be seen in the 3-1 victory of the MLS team against the Liga MX All-Stars.
Messi had missed the All-Star competition with an injury last year.
Miami, fifth in the Eastern Conference table, organizes first place FC Cincinnati in Chase Stadium in Fort Lauderdale on Saturday evening.