Inicio Noticias Analysis: Ronaldo is the front runner in Portugal’s 2026 World Cup squad,...

Analysis: Ronaldo is the front runner in Portugal’s 2026 World Cup squad, but will he help or prove to be a hindrance?

19
0
Analysis: Ronaldo is the front runner in Portugal’s 2026 World Cup squad, but will he help or prove to be a hindrance?


In the 21st century, this group of 27 Portuguese players selected by Roberto Martinez are probably the most star-studded players to have taken the Iberian country to a World Cup. While the aging Cristiano Ronaldo’s squad continues to draw most of the attention, the depth of star quality spread across the XI and reserves is indispensable.

In the 2025 Ballon d’Or rankings, 41-year-old Ronaldo was not in the top 30, while Portuguese trio Vitinha, Nuno Mendes and Joao Neves made it thanks to their treble-winning season with Paris St. Germain. In fact, Ronaldo has not been in the top 30 for the past three seasons, highlighting his declining influence.

Yet it has not deterred his manager, Martinez’s confidence in the Al Nassr striker. While Ronaldo has continued to score goals in Saudi Arabia and in tournament qualifiers, his record in major tournament matches – World Cups and European Championships – has always been a question mark.

While his overall numbers make for a decent record with 22 goals and 10 assists in 52 matches across 11 tournaments, he has yet to score a goal or register an assist in eight knockout World Cup matches. His last knockout goal came in the 2016 European Championship semi-final before Portugal won the title for the first time.

Will the glamor quotient surrounding his presence continue to impact Martinez in what will be his twelfth major tournament appearance and likely his last?

“We are managing the Cristiano Ronaldo who plays for the national team and is trying to get into the 2026 squad, not the iconic figure,” Martinez said last week.

The Spaniard highlighted his experience, which has netted a whopping 970 goals in his career, which is likely to boost Portugal’s chances of a first World Cup title. “He’s fantastic at those movements, those runs, opening up spaces, splitting the middle halves,” he said.

READ ALSO | ANALYSIS: Neymar returns to the Brazilian national team, but can he inspire the Seleção to a sixth World Cup?

Despite being packed with quality, what Martinez will be concerned about is the form of his attacking players. While Ronaldo will be his undisputed starting number. On September 9, Goncalo Ramos, who has a World Cup round of 16 hat-trick to his name, will be his substitute. However, Ramos has struggled to get regular playing time at PSG. The form of Rafael Leao and Pedro Neto, who are his first choice wide players, have struggled with their performances at their clubs.

For Martinez, the Portuguese midfield will be his biggest asset. Vitinha and Neves will complement the form of attacking midfielder Bruno Fernandes, who recorded a Premier League record with a total of 20 assists and eight goals. In tournament football, where control combined with firepower can hit a team deep, Portugal’s midfield is as complete as it gets against its competitors.

While Portugal have been hamstrung by a lack of depth to support the starting XI in recent major competitions, Martinez faces no such issues this time around. In an era of five substitutions, Portugal have an equally strong bench to fall back on.

Bernardo Silva, who has played some of his best football games in a pivot at Manchester City, Ruben Neves and defensive midfielder Samu Costa add depth. Joao Felix, who has scored eight goals in nine recent games, can act as a backup in the No. 1. 10 role or as a striker.

The backline is led by the experienced Ruben Dias, returning from injury, and Sporting Lisbon’s Goncalo Inacio, while Renato Veiga and Tomas Araujo provide cover. PSG’s Mendes has become one of the best left backs in recent seasons. At right back, Dalot provides solidity, while Joao Cancelo adds creativity from the back.

The only surprise was the addition of a fourth goalkeeper, with Gençlerbirliği’s Ricardo Velho finding a place alongside the usual suspects Diogo Costa, Jose Sa and Rui Silva.

While Costa is the number one choice, second choice Jose Sa comes into the tournament on the back of a relegation campaign with Wolverhampton Wanderers, while Rui Silva and Velho are relatively untested at international level.

It is likely that one goalkeeper from Silva and Velho will be dropped from the group before the start of the tournament.

Dear XI

Diogo Costa; Diogo Dalot, Ruben Dias, Goncalo Inacio, Nuno Mendes; Vitinha, Joao Neves, Bruno Fernandes; Pedro Neto, Rafael Leao, Cristiano Ronaldo

PORTUGAL SQUAD FOR FIFA WORLD CUP 2026

  • Goalkeeper: Diogo Costa, Jose Sa, Rui Silva, Ricardo Velho

  • Defenders: Diogo Dalot, Matheus Nunes, Nelson Semedo, Joao Cancelo, Nuno Mendes, Goncalo Inacio, Renato Veiga, Ruben Dias, Tomas Arajuo

  • Midfielder: Ruben Neves, Joao Neves, Vitinha, Bruno Fernandes, Bernardo Silva, Joao Felix, Francisco Trincao, Francisco Conceicao, Samu Costa

  • Forwards: Pedro Neto, Rafael Leao, Goncalo Guedes, Goncalo Ramos, Cristiano Ronaldo

Published on May 19, 2026



Fuente