UEFA has proposed a renewal of qualifying for the 2030 World Cup and Euro 2032 that could put an end to mismatches between the strongest and weakest teams, with a format similar to the Champions League.
UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin revealed last year that reforms were planned to revive interest from fans and broadcasters as many traditional men’s qualifying groups had become predictable.
Skewed recent results that raised concerns included France beating Gibraltar 14-0 in a Euro 2024 qualifier, and Austria’s 10-0 win over San Marino last year in a 2026 World Cup qualifier.
What is the new FIFA World Cup and European Championship qualifying format proposed by UEFA?
On Wednesday, UEFA proposed creating a top tier of the 36 top-ranked teams, playing in three groups of twelve, with a format similar to the Champions League.
Teams in those groups each played six matches against six different opponents and were ranked in a twelve-team ranking. Teams would be drawn from three different seeding pots, with a weighted schedule of two teams played from each pot.
Such a format could fit into existing FIFA-mandated schedules from September to November and would not add additional games to players’ workloads.
The top 36 teams would not play against teams ranked 37 to 55 by UEFA, which could play matches at a separate level and also have a path through play-offs to qualify for major tournaments.
A decision on the proposed renewal is expected in September, UEFA said after an executive committee meeting on the sidelines of the Europa League final in Istanbul, Turkey.
“The concept will be refined over the coming months before being submitted for final approval of the detailed format at the next Executive Committee meeting,” UEFA said.
UEFA did not specify how many direct qualifying places would be earned from each group of twelve teams.
Hosted mainly by Spain, Portugal and Morocco – with three opening matches in South America – the 2030 World Cup is expected to be a 48-team tournament. Europe should get 16 qualifying slots.
FIFA has been asked by the South American football association CONMEBOL to expand to 64 teams.
Published on May 20, 2026

:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():format(jpeg)/peo-primary-face-moisturizer-spf-jthompson-2051-7b6892da9f6a4e20a6e8e4a266ee07b4.jpeg?w=238&resize=238,178&ssl=1)




:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():format(jpeg)/peo-primary-face-moisturizer-spf-jthompson-2051-7b6892da9f6a4e20a6e8e4a266ee07b4.jpeg?w=100&resize=100,75&ssl=1)